Moving on Up

I finally got a piece of the pie and man does it taste good.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ode to Fall

I love you Fall.

Ok, maybe that's more of a declaration than an ode, but you probably understand where I'm coming from. I lived in Texas my whole life. We have October and November there, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it "Fall." I mean, how many of us have sweated to death in Halloween costumes while trying to Trick Or Treat in the heat. All of us, that's how many. How many of us have worn shorts at Thanksgiving and even at Christmas some years? Again, all of us. So, imagine my surprise when in Illinois August is actually the last month of the summer!

Here are some things I like about Fall. 1. No sweating! 2. Sweaters, and wearing them without sweating! 3. It makes me want to bake. 4. Brownies (I'll explain in a minute) 5. Soup that you can eat hot without sweating. 6. Football that you can watch without sweating. 7. Pumpkins that don't rot on your front porch after a day because of the heat. 8. Geese. 9. Crisp sunny mornings. 10. The complete lack of sweat!

Here's the part about brownies. The train station downtown sits on the Chicago River. Evidently, there is a chocolate factory somewhere downtown. I may have mentioned this before, but pardon me because I love chocolate and may need to mention it several more times. In the mornings, there is a smell of brownies that wafts down the river toward the train station. I can smell it for a few blocks and it really makes my morning.

I know that TKW has mentioned that she lives close enough to Canada that their weather patterns directly affect her. I can remember being in Texas and seeing the "Canadian Cold Fronts" and knowing that they would never reach us. I'm pretty sure they're gonna reach me this year. Actually, their geese are already here! A few weeks ago we started to see gaggles of geese (I think that's how geese roll, in a gaggle) everywhere. Sometimes, they were walking across the street, which strikes me as odd, but maybe they were resting their wings. Anyway, every morning as I wait for the bus, several gaggles will fly over honking like crazy. I like it, and that's why geese is number 8 on my list.

If you like Fall, let me know. Nappy is going to come see me on Monday and experience it firsthand. I can't wait to see you!

3 Comments:

At 8:26 AM , Blogger Me said...

... close to Canada!!! Bah ha ha ha.

Ok - so she is in the land of cheese and seriously not even close to Canada. LOL.


But... you are right about midwestern Autumn. It's beautiful. When we lived in Los Angeles and visited Iowa in October I literally CRIED getting back on the plane to go back to California. The midwest has amazing Falls.

 
At 2:54 PM , Blogger Nap Queen said...

I'm so jealous. You know what I did today? SWEAT. And a lot of it, too. Why does it have to be so hot??

 
At 1:56 PM , Blogger The Old Lady said...

Fall is by far the best. I got to actually wear a sweater today. Oh how I miss real weather patterns.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home