Moving on Up

I finally got a piece of the pie and man does it taste good.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Overheard on the Train...

I am always amazed that talking on a cell phone seems to make people feel that they are in a sound proof bubble where none of the rest of us can hear them. I think it's a lot like picking your nose in the car. But, guess what? We CAN hear you and we CAN see you, so STOP.

This afternoon I hopped an early train to get home for the boys' preschool orientation. I sat down next to a woman who I think I saw at the train station in Pleasantville this morning. She gave me a look as I was walking up to the station, this morning that is. It was one of those looks that makes you wonder if you have a giant booger stuck to your face. Then, I figured out why she was looking at me. My pants were totally unzipped. Smooth move, Weez. I'm classy like that. But, I digress...

So, I sat down next to this woman who fired up her cell phone and did NOT speak softly. Evidently, she didn't see the big sign that read, "Courtesy extends to cell phone users too" which is plastered in every train car. Her conversation started with, "Hey, baby." To me, this is a dead giveaway that you're talking to a significant other of some sort. So, imagine my surprise when she said, "Hold on. That's my husband calling on the other line. I'll call you back." Um, what? I mean, I'm nosy, so if you're gonna talk, expect me to listen. She talks to her "husband" in a much different tone than "baby" on the other line. Later, she calls "baby" back and apologizes for the things she said during lunch. She knows she shouldn't have said them because she's still in her "situation" (Guess what, lady, all of us around you know that your "situation" is your marriage. Your clever code doesn't fool us.) and she has no right to judge, but she just gets jealous because other people get to spend time with "baby" and she doesn't. Boo hoo.

Holy crap! Who talks openly about cheating on their spouse while on the train? Blonde lady, that's who. The thing that really chaffed me about the whole thing (other than the utter wrongness of the cheating that is) was that she left her wallet at work and asked husband to bring some cash for her when he picked her up from the train station! The nerve!

2 Comments:

At 4:55 PM , Blogger Nap Queen said...

Maybe "baby" was the loud cell phone talker on the plane that you had to sit next to? I would love to meet these people's parents to see if they are idiots or if the people were just born stupid.

 
At 7:43 AM , Blogger The Old Lady said...

But it makes for such good blogging!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home